Author Topic: Configuring Cisco 7940 Internet Phone?  (Read 2369 times)

stevec5000

Configuring Cisco 7940 Internet Phone?
« on: 07:48:27 | 28 April, 2011 »
This is a bit off topic but since I could always listen to the radio over the phone I thought I'd ask. LOL
Does anyone here have experience configuring Cisco IP phones?  I picked up a Cisco 7940 phone with ethernet interface at the swapmeet and have been trying to figure out how to use it.  I have another IP phone that I got years ago that's pretty simple to configure, you only need to give it the IP address, URL of your SIP server, etc. and it's ready to go but the Cisco has a ton of features to configure so it looks for a source of configuration files when it's first turned on. I found a document on the Cisco web site telling how to set it up for SIP and it says you need a Linux server running TFTP to host the files. Also they have the files but only make them available to registered customers.  While I might be able to find the files somewhere else I don't really want to setup a Linux server just to make one phone work so I wonder if it's possible to configure the phone manually and get it to work?  The Cisco document is available here:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_tech_note09186a0080094584.shtml

stevec5000

Re: Configuring Cisco 7940 Internet Phone?
« Reply #1 on: 10:53:08 | 28 April, 2011 »
Here there are a lot of cheap Linksys (Sipura) adapters floating around that connect to a regular phone but they are all locked to Vonage and totally useless for anything else. I used to have an account with Gizmo years ago and some other one that I can't remember but Google bought Gizmo and the other one isn't around anymore so I got the Blink client to run on the PC to use for getting it all working and signed up with IPKall to get a phone number. The number is in Washington state but then I forward it to Google Voice to use a local number and it's all free. I've tried services like Sipgate that are overseas but they never work as well as one that is nearby. The links to 3CX look useful but the first thing it says to do is Obtain the Firmware files from Cisco....  Like that's ever going to happen!

drgeoff

• With us since: 30/03/2011
    YearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: 12:50:38 | 28 April, 2011 »
New unlocked Linksys PAP2 ATAs are available from Hong Kong for about £20 on ebay.   Over 2 years ago I installed one and a £3 Tesco phone in my mother-in-law's house in Japan.  About the same time, here in the UK I put in a Linksys/Sipura SP3000 which I had picked up for £10 plus VAT from Morgan Computer in London. (Before it was taken over.)   Both ATAs are on Sipgate UK numbers and are configured to automatically call the other one 7 seconds after lifting the handset.  No sign-up cost,  no recurring fees and no call charges.  Wife and her mother can natter away as much as they like.

More recently I put some credit on my end and use it routinely for calls outside of my evenings and weekend free calls package.  As Prof says, it is extremely competitively priced versus the incumbent telco.

About 10 years ago I was one of about 50 in part of the company that was put on Cisco IP phones. Hopefully they improved since then but we were always complaining about them.

castalla

• Administrator
  • With us since: 29/03/2011
    YearsYearsYears
« Reply #3 on: 13:02:29 | 28 April, 2011 »
What's the advantage of this versus Skype?

drgeoff

YearsYearsYears
« Reply #4 on: 14:23:40 | 28 April, 2011 »
Not sure what "this"  refers to.  In my case,  the big advantage is that SIP ATAs work without having a PC running.  My mother-in-law has never used a computer.  You connect a real  phone (corded or cordless) with a real ringer to the ATA.

(SIP phone software is available too - eg Ekiga on Linux, SJPhone for Windows.)

Also,  SIP is an open standard whereas Skype is closed and proprietary.

Possible minus point of the SIP ATA approach is that it doesn't provide the "online", "offline" etc info that Skype can.

castalla

• Administrator
    YearsYearsYears
« Reply #5 on: 14:30:41 | 28 April, 2011 »
'This' was the SIP method. 

So, essentially all I need is one of those ATA gadgets to plug into router and I could use our landline phone?  (plus software business)?

not sure about cost advantage - Skype give unlimited UK access for about 5 euros a month.

castalla

• Administrator
    YearsYearsYears
« Reply #6 on: 14:50:03 | 28 April, 2011 »
Ah-ha ... so there's this 'hidden' number charge?  Didn't see that on their site.  But if I just want to use a usb skype phone to call UK landlines, are there hidden charges?

drgeoff

YearsYearsYears
« Reply #7 on: 15:04:22 | 28 April, 2011 »
'This' was the SIP method. 

So, essentially all I need is one of those ATA gadgets to plug into router and I could use our landline phone?  (plus software business)?

Most  ATAs need a dedicated phone*.   Only a few have the facility to connect to your landline and share a single* phone bewteen the SIP line and the landline.

All required software is already within the ATA's firmware.

(* optionally with wired or cordless extensions on the same circuit.)
« Last Edit: 15:07:24 | 28 April, 2011 by drgeoff »

stevec5000

« Reply #8 on: 18:29:49 | 28 April, 2011 »
Skype can only call another computer unless you pay extra for Skype Out to enable calling telephones. It works better than anything else I've tried over my slow connection but has a lot of other problems. The software is buggy, there's no support and it's run by a bunch of crooks.  When I installed ver. 5.1 in March it killed Internet Explorer in Win 7.  It installs 2 plug-ins without asking and there doesn't seem to be any way to stop it. Even after uninstalling it I.E. still would not work.  A newer ver. 5.3 that I got this month is a bit better and doesn't install any plug-ins.  I paid for a years subscription that was supposed to give me unlimited calling to phones and it even says there is unlimited calling on some splash screens while it's being installed but when I started using it I found that I only get around 60 minutes a month then it cuts me off and I can't call at all until next month when I get another 60 minutes! I emailed them and complained several times but they don't care. There is a forum but it seem to have more questions than answers.
I haven't tried Sipgate.com but I'm going to give that a shot.   
« Last Edit: 18:41:52 | 28 April, 2011 by stevec5000 »

stevec5000

« Reply #9 on: 19:05:04 | 28 April, 2011 »
I'm not impressed with Sipgate.  It was a big hassle getting registered for an account that required sending SMS messages and emails back and forth several times. During the signup they offered their own SIP client called Sipgate Phone but after installing it won't run. All that happens is a window pops up saying "Verifying" then it goes away and nothing else happens. I guess it won't work in Windows 7?  They don't offer any information about how it works either.  I was able to get a local phone number but not sure if I'll be able to use it for anything unless I can transfer the credentials to Blink.
During registration they gave me credit for 60 minutes but why do I need credit if it's free?  I wonder what they charge for, it doesn't say?  Sounds like the same kind of scam as Skype all over again.

Paul Webster

YearsYearsYears
« Reply #10 on: 00:03:11 | 29 April, 2011 »
I have Cisco 7940 at home.
It was configured without SIP to connect to corporate network until recently ...
It is now set-up to connect via SIP to a different access point into the corporate network because it stopped working on my BT broadband line.
Even now it is somewhat flakey - when I connect via BT.

Anyway - the document referred to at the start is pretty accurate (although the TFTP server does not have to be on Unix/Linux).

One of my colleagues runs an Asterisk server to power part of our phone system - and he has TFTP server running to serve up the required firmware and then download the device set-up (based on MAC address).

Once the phone is configured it does not have to access the TFTP server (etc) any more (it will try on start-up and then when it fails it simply resorts to last saved set-up).

So your challenge will be to get the SIP firmware etc ... I suggest querying in the Asterisk forum to see if someone can help by providing temporary access to a server (I can't because our TFTP sever is behind firewall - and I am not sure if it is allowed to redistribute anyway).

drgeoff

YearsYearsYears
« Reply #11 on: 01:54:42 | 29 April, 2011 »
Being owned by Ebay, it is no surprise that Skype is now driven by a greedy control-freak mindset.
Although ebay did own Skype for a while they sold it in 2009.  http://techcrunch.com/2009/11/19/ebay-skype-sale/

stevec5000

« Reply #12 on: 08:33:55 | 29 April, 2011 »
On sipgate.com it mentions a charge of 1.9 cents a minute but doesn't say when that charge applies. I guess it's to all regular phones. On the other hand IPKall is free.

drgeoff

YearsYearsYears
« Reply #13 on: 13:20:23 | 29 April, 2011 »
There is also a list at www.voxalot.com.  Click on "Global Provider Index" just below the search box at top right of the page.

sipgate.com rates are shown at http://www.sipgate.com/rates.  Sipgate to Sipgate is free.  US and Canada is 1.9 cent/min.  Other country rates are listed for landline and mobile.

stevec5000

« Reply #14 on: 07:12:06 | 04 May, 2011 »
Which client do you guys use for Sipgate?  They have their own program but it wouldn't even run in Windows 7.
I emailed them about that problem and they said to use Phoner Lite instead and included some links to the program and to a tutorial showing how to configure it. When I got the program installed and looked at the tutorial they didn't match and I emailed sipgate about that too and they said to not use the tutorial after all!  Does anyone there know what they are doing at all?

anything